From Red Cross Chat
Two weeks ago, we entered the 2009 Hurricane Season. With the threat of H1N1 lingering, we have a unique set of circumstances facing our nation.
The message of public preparedness has never been more timely than it is now.
- More than 2 million people around the world were affected by disasters last year.
- In the Americas alone, more people were affected by disasters in 2008 than any year in the previous decade.
- 15 million people suffered through floods and hurricanes.
- In 2008, the US saw its 2nd most active tornado season on record, 5th most active hurricane season, and a verybusy wildfire season
- In light of this trend, we brought together several experts to discuss hurricane preparedness in a H1N1 world.
Here are a few of the remarks that came out of yesterday’s panel:Advertisements