Katrina Traverso brought her children up knowing what to do in case of an emergency.
On Friday, April 20, Katrina watched their home go up in flames and knew that they would probably lose everything.
However, the most important things in her life – Jonathan, 14, and Bella, 11 – were safe in her arms, thanks to Jonathan’s quick thinking. Jonathan saw smoke coming from another room, called 911 and got his sister out of the house to safety.
“I don’t even have a pair of pants to wear,” Katrina said. “But I don’t care. I have somewhere to live, I have my kids.”
The Red Cross immediately stepped in to get the Traversos assistance for food, shelter and clothing. Jonathan, a diabetic, had only three days’ worth of medication. Our Red Cross nurse, Muri, made arrangements to get more medicine and hand-delivered it to the hotel where the Traversos were staying.
And then the community stepped in. The homeowners assocation made arrangements for the family to rent a home in the same subdivision so the kids wouldn’t have to switch schools or make new friends. Neighbors helped sort through the burned home to find a few items that survived the fire.
Watch this family’s story – and then brush up on your fire safety.